Sunday, June 5, 2011

Q & A On Getting Started Online


A number of times we fail to get started on any plans or projects because we don't know exactly how or where to start. Hopefully, sharing these questions and answers will remove all fears or doubts and move you towards the getting started phase. Personally, I like to take baby steps towards any new venture/s that involves online or offline investing.

"Do I have to have any special skills or degrees to start my own business?"

Knowing what you're getting into is naturally important. However, I believe that time and again it has been proven that you don't necessarily have to have a business degree to succeed in business.

Knowledge about your potential business is a must. Be prepared to do a lot of research and read about the field that you want to get into. College degrees and experience are helpful, but not necessarily a prerequisite to setting up a business online.

You do need technical skills if you're planning to offer web designing services and the like. Most other skills you can learn as you go along. You just need to be determined and willing to learn.

"Will it cost a lot of money?"

Generally, it doesn't cost much money to start your own online business. Your major costs would be for a computer, Internet access, and a website. In my case, I'm working towards the last item. Any other cost would depend on the type of business you want to get into.

Of course, if you're planning to sell items that you've created, you'll need to stock the inventory. If you intend to offer services like web designing, you'll need some tools like software programs. 

"Will I still be able to start my own business online, even if I've never run my own business before?"

Most definitely. If you've been doing research on this, you would have read a number of success stories wherein the Internet marketer started from scratch and learned the business while doing it. This is what I eventually hope to achieve. It's been my long-time dream to work for myself. 

The Internet holds a lot of information. You have the world at the tip of your fingers so to speak. All you need would be the resourcefulness and determination to learn what you want and need. 

"How much money can I make from an online business?"

Good question! This is something I want to know for sure too. I believe it will vary on a lot of factors; i.e. what business you start, how much time and effort you put in, the return on investment of what you're offering, etc. 

I've read that some Internet marketers make a six-figure income. I have yet to personally know someone who does. LOL! But no matter how much your business brings in, you're still ahead of those who have to commute on their way to work, spend on gas, meals, etc.

"Do I really need a website?"

A website is needed to conduct your business from. If you're going to sell a product or provide a service, it will serve as your "office" or "store, " minus the physical space of renting a unit in a building.

You can use website design software programs (if you're a bit "techy") or hire a web designer to create a killer website for your business.

"Do I need special business licenses to run an online business?"

Check with your local government agencies to determine what you will need in your area. Each area is different, so it's best to check and see what you'll need before starting your business.
"I'm nervous about taking money from customers. What if I mess up the payment processing system?"

If you're selling items, you will want to use an online payment system like PayPal or Clickbank. These programs will take care of the whole payment process for you including refunds. Again, you can search for a suitable payment system online. Most programs I've encountered also have AlertPay in addition to PayPal. 

Read an article here about "responding to claims" via PayPal.. Tim Linden's Blog


I hope that some of your concerns have been answered here and that you'll soon be on the path to get started. I will start sharing details on the different types of legitimate businesses in the weeks to come. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment/s.